Oxy Free Emergency Department
- Mark Hamed, MD, MBA, MPH, Medical Director of the Departments of Emergency and Hospital Medicine, McKenzie Health System
- Steve Barnett, CHA, CRNA, FACHE, President and CEO, McKenzie Health System
The Opioid Epidemic has been spreading throughout America, including rural America. There is a recognition that healthcare providers and facilities need to step up to combat this epidemic. Our rural Michigan Emergency Department recognized this problem and made up a plan to take action six years ago. We will discuss how to set up and implement a program designed to limit opioid prescribing in a rural ED, and one that offers patients different resources to help with their narcotic addiction or dependencies.
- Gain an understanding of the dangers of the increasing rate of prescription drug abuse in the United States
- Gain an understanding of the major components needed to develop an "oxy-Free Emergency Department
- Identify patients who exhibit narcotic medication-seeking behavior
- Develop and implement a plan for managing patients seeking narcotic prescription medications in the Emergency Department