TeamSTEPPS - Strategies and Tools to Enhance Performance and Patient Safety
TeamSTEPPS is an evidence-based program aimed at optimizing performance among teams of health care professionals, enabling them to respond quickly and effectively to whatever situations arise. This curriculum was developed by a panel of experts, incorporating more than 25 years of scientific research that has been conducted on teams and team performance. The following are among the several versions of TeamSTEPPS available on the TeamSTEPPS website.
- TeamSTEPPS 2.0 (core curriculum): A teamwork system that offers a powerful solution to improving collaboration and communication within your institution. Teamwork has been found to be one of the key initiatives within patient safety that can transform the culture within health care. Patient safety experts agree that communication and other teamwork skills are essential to the delivery of quality health care and to preventing and mitigating medical errors and patient injury and harm.
- TeamSTEPPS Office-based Care Version: Adapts the core concepts of the TeamSTEPPS program to reflect the environment of office-based teams. The examples, discussions, and exercises are tailored to the medical office environment. It is a full version of TeamSTEPPS, including all of the fundamentals modules as well as modules to assist in implementation.
- TeamSTEPPS Rapid Response Systems Guide: Includes presentations, instructional guides, case studies and videos. This evidence-based module will provide insight into the core concepts of teamwork as they are applied to the rapid response system.
- TeamSTEPPS Long-Term Care Version: Adapts the core concepts of the TeamSTEPPS program to reflect the environment of nursing homes and other long-term care settings such as assisted living and continuing care retirement communities. Keys to success at each phase include involvement of the right people, use of information-driven decision making, and careful planning before acting.
- TeamSTEPPS for Patients With Limited English Proficiency: This evidence-based module will provide insight into the core concepts of teamwork as they are applied to work with patients who have difficulty communicating in English.