Iowa Department of Public Health
Top Flex Activities
Program Area: Support for Quality Improvement
Iowa's goals are to improve patient safety in critical access hospitals (CAHs) and the community by:
- Ensuring all health care providers and eligible patient populations receive their influenza vaccinations
- Provide technical assistance (TA) workshops and consultation site visits to improve hospital staff and patient vaccination rates and provide online vaccination data reporting system reports (in addition to other data reports)
These goals will be measured by the percentage of CAH staff vaccinated, the percentage of eligible patient population vaccinated and the percentage of CAHs reporting on influenza vaccination rates.
Program Area: Support for Financial and Operational Improvement
In the area of financial and operational improvement, the Iowa Flex Program will:
- Conduct three meetings with identified CAH cohorts in high need of financial and operational assistance to help prepare CAHs for new payment and delivery models
- Track the number of CAHs in need of financial and operational assessments that show improved financial and operational performance
- Track the number of targeted CAHs that attend regional meetings
Program Area: Support for Population Health Management and Emergency Medical Services Integration
In the area of population health management and emergency medical services (EMS), Iowa will:
- Provide a statewide CAH Population Health Management Needs Assessment
- Evaluate CAH and county level Community Health Needs Assessments (CHNAs) to determine needs related to health access, disease prevention, causes and treatments
- Track the number of CAHs completing or revising CHNAs
Please provide information about Collaboration/Shared Services.
The Iowa Flex Program has contracted with consulting experts to advise Iowa CAHs and their communities on how to collaborate with their local public health agency to identify population health needs and develop action planning to implement change.
Please provide information about any efforts to assist CAHs/communities and partner organizations in the transition to value-based care.
The Iowa Flex Program has contracted with consulting experts to advise Iowa CAHs and their communities on what value-based care is and how the transition will impact the health care system.
Please provide information about network activities in your state to support Flex Program activities.
In Iowa, cohorts were developed for both quality and financial improvement networks. These groups work together on similar topics to learn best practices and receive hands-on support.
Please describe how your state Flex Program has enhanced its use of data in the past year.
Data is consistently shared amongst CAHs and Flex contractors to focus on performance status in quality, outcomes, patient satisfaction, and financial strength.
Do you have any hospitals interested in converting to CAH status?
|Type of Organization||State Government|
|Number of CAHs||82|
|Website URL||Organization Website|