Leadership Fundamentals Video Series: Surviving and Thriving as a New Leader
It’s not easy to be a new leader, especially for those who were part of a team that they are now managing. Expectations, priorities, and responsibilities are completely different – and new leaders often feel alone in their struggles. This 6-part video series is designed to help new rural health leaders navigate the ups and downs of transitioning to a supervisor or manager role. Participants will gain knowledge and skills to help them feel confident in their role and build a cohesive team that delivers results.
Participants will learn from experts in rural health leadership as well as rural hospital and clinic leaders themselves as they share their own experiences and advice for new managers.
This series is designed in particular for those who have been in a rural health leadership role for two years or less, but it is also relevant to leaders who have been in their roles for longer or who may be training or mentoring new leaders. The series may also serve as a valuable resource for those who may be transitioning to a leadership role within the next year.
“Leadership” roles may be officially recognized through titles like supervisor, manager, or director. A leader may also be represented by serving in more informal roles like project manager, senior team member, or fill-in supervisor.
- Understand the role of a rural health leader and how it differs from that of an individual contributor, including the impact that the transition to value has on leadership responsibilities
- Build awareness of common challenges faced by new leaders
- Align your team’s daily work with your organization’s long-term goals
- Build relationships across the organization
- Create a work environment that actively fosters diversity, equity, and inclusion
- Influence performance by setting clear expectations, giving and receiving feedback, and recognizing others
- Build relationships and trust through communication and constructive conflict
- Lead change effectively
- Engage your team members through delegation, coaching, and collaborative decision making
The series includes six video modules. Each module includes:
- A 30-minute educational video, including clips of interviews with rural health leaders and experts in rural health leadership
- Discussion/reflection questions that can be used by groups of managers from the same hospital/clinic going through the series together
- Suggested activities to reinforce learning between video modules
- Tools to help participants put learning into action
- Supplemental resources for more detailed information on topics covered in the module