LifeCare Medical Center
LifeCare Medical Center a 15-bed critical access hospital located in Roseau, Minnesota. LifeCare Medical Center takes great pride in their compassionate staff, dedicated physicians and modern facilities.
In 2015, the hospital began participating in Rural Health Innovation’s Integrative Behavioral Health Program funded by the Minnesota Department of Health, Office of Rural Health and Primary Care.
LifeCare Medical Center identified key partners and convened a multi-organizational community mental health task force who identified community education awareness on mental health issues; information sharing between schools, law enforcement, health care, social services and court system; and availability of transportation to inpatient settings as barriers in meeting their population’s behavioral health needs.
|Target Population||10-40-year-old ED patients requiring immediate assessment and at risk for inpatient mental health placement or crisis|
- Create community awareness
- Create education of first point of access
- Establish roadmap, logistics, and infrastructure for coordinating care
- Develop a care plan
- Address transportation issues
Positive Outcomes Within 12 Months
- Decreased transfers to inpatient settings from ED
- Decreased number of ED visits with behavioral health diagnosis (see chart)
- Continue with mental health first aid education
- Created a Roving Therapist position to counsel inmates with depression and anxiety
- Patients brought to ED from jail have decreased
- Inmates seen by the Roving Therapist have resulted in zero psychiatric transfers