Renville County Hospital and Clinics
Partnerships we've made and processes we've created are keeping patients at home.
Renville County Hospital and Clinics (RC Hospital and Clinics) is a 25-bed critical access hospital (CAH) located in Olivia, Minnesota. RC Hospital and Clinics is dedicated to providing quality patient care with a passion for clinical excellence, patient safety and a commitment to assure the very best health care for those they serve.
In 2015, the hospital began participating in Rural Health Innovation’s Integrative Behavioral Health Program funded by the Minnesota Department of Health, Office of Rural Health and Primary Care.
RC Hospital and Clinics identified key partners and convened a multi-organizational community mental health task force who identified lack of agency knowledge concerning resources; high levels of stigma in community; lack of emergent/urgent availability of mental health appointments; and transportation issues preventing clients from keeping appointments as barriers in meeting their population’s behavioral health needs.
Decrease emergency department (ED) visits through increased outpatient management and coordination of care
|Target Population||Patients admitted to the ED with diagnosis codes of depression anxiety|
- Develop on-going professional collaboration
- Establish a resource directory
- Expand resources
- Build advocacy
- Create education to de-stigmatize mental illness
- Optimize service delivery
- Ensure access and on-going care
Positive Outcomes Within 12 Months
- Decreased number of ED admissions for patients with diagnosis of mental health evaluation or suicidal ideation
- Decreased number of mental health holds that are placed on these patients
- Decreased length of stay in the ED, ultimately decreasing the cost per visit (see chart)
- Created a guide for behavioral health resources
- Better collaboration among agencies/providers lead to decreased holds placed on patients
- Completed education with ED nurses resulting in increased use of crisis mobile unit and decreased length of stay
- School utilizing crisis team rather than bringing students to the ED