Module 1: Transforming Health Care from the Middle
This six-part educational video series provides mid-level leaders with foundational knowledge and strategies for leading their team and influencing others as they navigate the shift to value-based payment and population health.
Before You Begin: Complete the Pre/post-Training Evaluation template on page 8 within the Discussion Questions and Activities document before you begin the series and again after you complete Module 6.
Description and Topics Covered
Understand how mid-level leaders can help their department, organization, and themselves to transition from volume to value and population health.
- Series Intro & overview
- The state of health care and the transition to value
- Fundamental value-based concepts
- The role of a mid-level leader in the journey
- Impact of value-based care on your facility & department
- Do you have all the knowledge you’d like to have about the transition to value and population health? If not, how can you learn more?
- Where does your organization currently stand in the process of transitioning to value? What changes have already been made? What would you still like to see happen?
- What are the biggest challenges for your facility in the transition to value? How is the organization addressing these challenges?
- In which critical competency areas do you feel particularly strong? In what areas would you like to strengthen your knowledge and skills – and how might you do that? (aside from this series, of course!)
- Strategic & systems thinking
- Collaborative leadership
- Initiating and championing change
- Understanding health care finance
- Focusing on future needs when hiring and developing employees
Watch the following educational videos:
Set up a time to have a discussion with your CEO about your hospital’s approach to population health. Some questions you might consider asking:
- Why are we making this transition?
- What is the impact going to be on the hospital and my department?
- How is the hospital going to change?
- How will this process improve patient care and make our community safer and healthier?
- What do you expect from me in this transition?
- Collaborative healthcare leadership: A six-part model for adapting and thriving during a time of transformative change Browning, H.W., Torain, D.J, & Patterson, T.E. (2016). [White paper]. Center for Healthcare Leadership. - The Center for Creative Leadership’s whitepaper sharing six organizational capabilities that help health systems create direction, alignment and commitment in the changing health care environment.
- National Center for Healthcare Leadership: Leadership Competency Model - This evidence-based model outlines the skills and knowledge needed of health care leaders in the current environment.