This manual was developed for use by state Medicare Rural Hospital Flexibility (Flex) Program personnel as well as staff and boards of critical access hospitals (CAHs). The content is designed to be as non-technical as possible and to provide answers to frequently asked questions regarding CAH finance and financial performance. A few examples of questions included in the manual:
- What is the Medicare swing bed program?
- What is CAH cost-based reimbursement?
- If CAHs are reimbursed at 101%, why might they not make a profit?
- If a CAH has a rural health clinic attached, how do they bill for those services and file their expenses?
- Why is a review of the cost report important?
Critical Access Hospital Finance 101 Manual [PDF - 557 KB]