Visionary Board Leadership and the Transition to Value Video Series
This six-part educational video series, designed for critical access hospital board members, focuses on developing systems thinking and visionary leadership skills as keys to thriving in the changing health care landscape. Participants will learn to think expansively about the health care system and its stakeholders, communicate a unified, inspiring vision for the organization and the community, and use this vision as a platform for developing collaborative relationships inside and outside the organization.
State Flex Programs may incorporate sharing this video series to support trainings in the operational and financial improvement area of their Flex Program, though the impact of this program will likely touch all aspects of the hospital. A variety of resources already exist to support board governance training, but this series is different and will improve the understanding of board members’ impactful leadership role.
Format for Board Training
The series is made up of six 15-20 minute video modules. Each module includes three parts: 1) educational content from subject matter experts, including interviews with rural hospital board members and CEOs sharing best practices and words of wisdom; 2) discussion questions for boards to consider how module topics apply to their organization and community; and 3) suggested activities for boards to put best practices into action.
Videos may be shown during regularly scheduled board meetings and can be followed by a brief discussion. While boards should feel free to complete the series within the timeframe that best serves them, the series is designed to be completed over the course of a year, with videos being shown on alternating months and follow-up discussions taking place during the months in between.
Upon completion of the 12-month series, participants will be able to:
- Clearly articulate a long-term vision for their organization with an understanding of their vision’s role in the transition to value and population health
- Communicate about the vision in ways that inspire a diverse set of internal and external audiences
- Incorporate systems thinking into long- and short-term planning and decision making
- Build and strengthen collaborative relationships inside and outside the organization
- Identify desired qualities of future administrative leaders and have a plan to select for and develop these skills
- Develop a culture of accountability within their organization
Program Modules & Topics
Before You Begin: Use the Pre/post-Training Evaluation template to have your Board take a short survey before you begin the training and again after you complete Module 6. Use this evaluation template to survey your board to measure the knowledge gained from this series. Have your Board take the evaluation before you begin Module 1 so you have a baseline, and again after you have completed Module 6. We hope the post-evaluation reveals a positive change in developing systems thinking and visionary leadership skills.
- Overview of the current and future state of health care
- Basics of the transition to value and population health
- The role of a board in the journey
- Dealing with uncertainty in the transformation
- Thinking about the local health care environment as a system
- Visionary leadership and the path to value
- Impact of a clear, compelling vision of the future
- The role of a board in creating and communicating the vision
- Creating a clear vision
- Visionary leadership and systems thinking
- Incorporating the vision into planning, decisions, and interactions
- Collaborative relationships and the path to value
- The role of a board in coalition building
- Collaborating internally and externally
- Identifying key partners
- Strengthening relationships
- Collaborative decision making
- Communication and the path to value
- Communicating the vision across audiences
- The role of a board in communication
- Crafting impactful messages
- Adapting communication styles
- Succession planning, employee development and the path to value
- The role of a board in succession planning and employee development
- Bringing the vision to life through succession planning
- Strategies for successful succession planning
- Developing leaders from within
- Influencing performance, inspiring accountability and the path to value
- The role of a board in influencing performance and inspiring accountability
- Creating a culture of accountability
- Setting clear expectations
- Giving effective feedback
Reminder: Have your Board take the Pre/post-Training Evaluation after you complete Module 6. We hope the post-evaluation reveals a positive change in developing systems thinking and visionary leadership skills.
Evaluate the Series
Once you have completed the series, please take two minutes to complete three feedback questions in Survey Monkey. Your feedback will help us at The Center as we develop more trainings like this one!
Each video module will refer to specific tools and resources that Boards may find helpful. Refer to the Resource Guide above for links and descriptions.