Value-Based Purchasing (VBP)
According to Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services, Value-Based programs reward health care providers with incentive payments for the quality of care they give to people with Medicare.
Examples of Value-Based Purchasing (VBP) Investment Activities
|VBP Investment Activites||Examples of Allowable Activities|
|A. Quality reporting data collection/related training or software||
CAHs should participate in Medicare Beneficiary Quality Improvement Project (MBQIP)
Any activity to support process improvements that result in improved quality reporting.
Inpatient and outpatient measures for PPS acute care hospitals.
|B. HCAHPS data collection process/related training||
This is a SHIP funding priority. Activities may be used to improve HCAHPS data collection, reporting, provider communications, patient and family engagement that directly impact patient satisfaction scores. Hospitals may use funds to support HCAHPS vendor to assist them in fully implementing HCAHPS and improve reporting.
|C. Efficiency or quality improvement training in support of VBP related initiatives|
|D. Provider-Based Clinic Quality Measures education||
Any activity that supports educational training for provider-based rural health clinic quality improvement reporting, including patient satisfaction survey scores.
|E. Alternative Payment Model and Quality Payment Program training/education||
Software or training to prepare staff and physicians for Quality Payment Program (QPP), which determines payment based on quality, resource use, clinical practice improvement, and meaningful use of certified electronic health record (EHR) technology.
Provided below is a bar graph of the number of SHIP hospitals between FY2014 - FY2016 that invested in VBP specific investment activities.
- Rural Hospital Toolkit for Transitioning to Value-based Systems (Transition Toolkit)
- Quality Improvement best practice tools on care management, HCAHPS and patient and family engagement
- Physician and Provider Engagement and Alignment resources support participation in Accountable Care Organizations (ACOs) and Shared Savings Programs
- Educational trainings on quality improvement provided through Hospital Education and Learning Program (HELP) Webinars support hospitals with quality reporting and improvements, and patient satisfaction
- Hospital success stories in the transition to value provided through Hospital Spotlights